Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Cardiology and angiology
Active ingredients: Diltiazem
Box of 56
Preventive treatment of stable angina attacks.
Dosage DIACOR LP 90 mg Prolonged-release capsule Box of 56
Treatment will be initiated with a 90 mg capsule morning and evening. If necessary, the dosage may be increased to one capsule at 120 mg in the morning and evening.
In exceptional cases, the dosage may be increased to 2 capsules at 90 mg in the morning and evening.
In elderly patients, a fortiori with bradycardia and / or polymedications, in patients with renal insufficiency and hepatic insufficiency, the daily dosage will not exceed one 90 mg capsule morning and evening (see precautions for use) except in cases very particular where it can be increased.
The capsule should be swallowed with a little water, without being crunched.
This medicine should never be used in case of:
- hypersensitivity to diltiazem,
- sinus dysfunction, BAV II and III not paired,
- severe bradycardia (less than or equal to 40 beats per minute),
- left ventricular failure with pulmonary stasis,
- combination with dantrolene (infusion) (see interactions),
- in combination with cisapride, pimozide, ergotamine and dihydroergotamine.
Due to the presence of sucrose, this drug is contraindicated in case of fructose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption syndrome or sucrase-isomaltase deficiency.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
- Diltiazem hydrochloride is generally not recommended in combination with anti-arrhythmic drugs and esmolol (if left ventricular function is impaired) and in pregnant women or women who may be pregnant: studies in animals have shown a teratogenic effect. There is currently no sufficient data on the possible malformative or foetotoxic effect of diltiazem hydrochloride when administered during pregnancy. As a result, the use of diltiazem hydrochloride is not recommended during pregnancy. This element does not constitute the systematic argument for counseling a termination of pregnancy, but leads to an attitude of caution and oriented antenatal surveillance.
- Breast-feeding: Diltiazem is found at very low concentrations in breast milk. However, breastfeeding with diltiazem should be avoided.
Diacor LP side effects
- The most frequent, which sometimes lead to the interruption of treatment are: symptomatic sinus bradycardias, sino-atrial blocks, atrioventricular blocks, rashes. The latter are most often localized and consist of simple erythema, urticaria or, exceptionally, desquamative erythema, possibly febrile, regressive at the end of treatment or vasculitis, erythema multiforme, exfoliative dermatitis, acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis, photosensitivity and mucosal gingival hyperplasia.
- The manifestations corresponding to vasodilation (headache, malaise, palpitations, vertigo, flushing and edema of the lower limbs) are dose-dependent, in relation with the pharmacological activity of the active ingredient and occur more readily in the elderly. These effects are generally infrequent, benign and transient.
- Other side effects are rare and transient: asthenia, digestive disorders (dyspepsia, epigastralgia, dry mouth, nausea, constipation or diarrhea).
- In rare cases of isolated, moderate and transient increases, hepatic transaminases have been observed during the initial period of treatment. Very exceptional cases of clinical hepatitis have been reported, reversible upon discontinuation of treatment.
- Exceptional cases of extrapyramidal syndrome and gynecomastia.